Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Greatest NFL QB

What a dumb debate "Greatest QB" EVER is. So here is my top 10 (Super Bowl era):

1. Montana - Best big game player.
2. Marino - Best pure passer WITHOUT any system
3. Unitas - Never saw him play, but just looks cool
4. Brady - Is the knee injury a mental scar?
5. Manning - Consistently great in the regular season. Sketchy in the playoffs.
6. Elway - Most complete QB.
7. Roger Staubach - See Unitas
8. Brett Favre - Ugh. I was trying to exclude him.
9. Jim Kelly - VERY underrated.
10.Dan Fouts - Marino lite

Honorable mentions: Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Steve Young
Several things:

When I consider GREATEST QB I throw out numbers and achievements. I hate using Super Bowls to rate a QB. If you did that, Terry Bradshaw would be here. Put ANY 70's QB (Griese,Staubach,Stabler,Tarkenton) on those Steeler teams and I guarantee you 4 super bowls victories...again. Another example, is John Elway. He was considered a loser, before Shanahan and Davis came to town. Then 2 Superbowl titles later he's considered the greatest ever.
I go by what I saw. When Joe Montana took a BAD Chiefs team to the AFC Championship game, THAT was a greater achievement then winning any Super Bowl. I recuse myself from Marino talk (I'm a dolphin fan) but can tell you that Don Shula totally screwed him when it comes to surrounding talent.
The Honorable Mentions are outside for several reasons:
Warren Moon - Was he really great? Great thrower. But seem emotionless.
Troy Aikman - Jimmy Johnson benched him so many times. Remember Craig Erickson? IMO, you can't be great part time. (He's DEFINITELY next one up. 11. But how hard is it to throw to Irvin, Smith and Novacek?)
Steve Young - Speaking of part time greatness, here is the poster child for templated offenses (WCO). Everyone forgets about him in Tampa Bay. Why? Well because it would severely hurt his ego. Also, he took over Joe Montana's team, and made it very mediocre until they hired Deion.

No comments: